[comes from http://10.9.8.7:9001/p/plans]
How to recognise ageing - how is aging made recognizable as a vector that traverses multiple realms (human, digital, technological, ect). Matter as a way to create other socialities - how to make research, how to think about cyborg companions through engagements with matter. What follows are project clusters that in some way respond to this prompt.
Aging on the command line: Practices and figurations of ageing as a social/aesthetic analysis (
- Looking at the exisiting figurations/imaginations of ageing as a social/aesthetic analysis. Potential sites/practices of enquiry might include - "embracing a better life", IMEC, imaginations of ageing in the smart city, asethtics of ageing
- Imagination of ageing starting from the command line instruction of touch. Command line - touch. Means that file is unchanged but changed :) ( it changes the 'last modified date' -- but can also create a new empty file ! ) http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/touch.1.html. touch command somehow artificially shifts the temporalities of the file system.. info exchange as touching?
- Bit rot (when material of information degrades, stops working as its designed); degredation of material; link rot (pointing doesn't work - innovation that doesn't take care of its "ancestry"/legacy - spatial shift; perceived longevity, even immortality, of links should be source of suspicion - consider CONSTANT'S own websites as case stdy); temporary traces of activity in caches - degredation of digital self/information online. (A)temporal ephemerality and digital aging...schematization of time and degredation resonate, but are distinct from, analogical ideas of human aging
between thermal cycles, macaronis, better life etc
- Helen , Andrea, martino, jara
Experiments in touch - [ Performative Interventions? ]. Making sentient surface: Questions of inside/outside shifting surface..
- On the mirroring idea. Hands-on. Problem of mirroring: human-human mirroring. Diffraction is necessary to be displaced.
- What are we measuring? Notions of measuring and affections are related. // [what is the measureof nothingness?]
- How to transfer different affections to one-another? considering the dangers of the notion of transition, as it can be too representative/representational?.
- Emile,Riek, Wendy, Blanca, Lionel
Proposition for the accompanying rather than programming of technology / unsupervised (lifelong) learning // Question of design software or software interfaces ?
- changes in space make it difficult to find paths back. -- user personalisation.
- templates, customization <- problematize interfaces that need "stuff that looks like other stuff"¿?
- Lionel, martino, constanza
& also: diffracting as touching a stream/wave of information (affecting it, interrupting the flow, provoking difference, : https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/6a/cc/b76accddeed0b028a4e863d01a4547cd.jpg
version control, forking...
Different proximities -- situatedness of touch
situatedness of touching / "touch" is not a universal, and thereis a key issue with agency and its distribution when considering each "touching" situation...
Touch leaving behind a cartography
looking as tactile, or with tactile potential
medical categories of touching / not considered 'touching' x-ray, ultrasound, etc
Layers -- ageing as losing connection
is aging of people an effect of injury or loss of various layers? (think of IMEC's mltiple layers of chip building) - in medicine, is touch an injury? (sometimes)
the human 'unit' that is touching
Touching = Moving/affecting... create a significative difference / transformation / displacement
Vectors of difference (useful categorizing)
macaroni configuration <---> obsolescence accelerator as poles of figuration for aging.
aging body, device, or practice? another vector of interest or sifting.
Ageing body is the occasion for thinking about how these info gathering technology perhaps fits closer with
What body is not ageing.. -- Understanding ageing as a transveral
Skin of the machine, as time the screen has less colours, fading colours, loosing pixels, the screen is already going down, expression lines, like indgienous tatoos on to skin.. sense of ageing as writing the story in the bodies... if someone cuts you it becomes present in the body
[[About SKIN: Paul Valery's poem: "The deepest thing in man is the skin. The skin is the surface that others see or touch; it is a presentation of the self to others. And that is where we believe, feel and suffer everything that happens to him. As if this were the great organ of sensibility"]] [skin is also the largest structure in the body]
"the touching community": on AIDS, dying and the origins of contact improvisation: https://vimeo.com/231203886
Wrinkles/aging skin as sign of resistance, of touch, of impression
The woman who doesn't smile: https://www.wowamazing.com/lifestyle/health-appearance/woman-never-smiled-to-avoid-wrinkles/ <- she does not cry neither?
on touching -- affect but not only in the goodist sense: touch implies rejection
Is ageing and the ageing body.. the primary consideration
Or is it the occasion for working around the ageing body..
ageing as a lens to see through this :
embracing -- a -- better -- life
IT companies embracing life // life-forms embracing a better life
clean room clean air making skin very dry.. ( the clean room as obsolence accelerator )
atmospheric sucking out cheeky moment . regulation of humidity and temperature as the technique for slowing down of 'ageing' for certain objects ( how does it translates to forms of life? ) - humidity protects against human aging (its symptoms, anyway - wrinking) but some dryness is required for curation of
Fernando Dominguez -> http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1359183515624128?journalCode=mcua
how to make research, relate to each other's methods.
Do conductive materials produce different results?
Does temperature make a difference?
1. cummulative, small-scale experiments
2. speculative thought experiments - envisioning of "solutions" such as systemic rejuvenation
- human/human --> possible downfall: assumptions of otherness
- human/object with sentient surfaces --> possible downfall: anthropomorphism
- wool - conductive wool
- trash bin
What are we measuring / what are the outcomes?
-1st step: registering affect --> illusion of automatic transferrance / assumptions of otherness stay as a trap
- 2nd step: diffraction and displacement --> to let oneself be affected by another
Scope of envisioning based on embodiment / ageing
Proposition for the accompanying rather than programming of technology / unsupervised (lifelong) learning // Question of design software ?
continues on http://etherbox.lan:9001/p/queering_interfaces
- - meme-splaining
- making some memes acccesible by signaling the cultural implicances that make it significative, as a way to build shared meanings and cultural connections
- are extremely conductive cultural interfaces
- establishing similarities with the interfaces, where you can perform the same operations (open, close, save) but problematize its structures.
- - expand the meaning of a hack using regular objects,
- accompanying: facing the interfaces
- - what do you lost when you begin to be older . seeing, touching, the memory of the navigate, organization of the diferent windows, luminosity, sounds
- - reorganization of the software; programed profile (like in adobe suite), users setup the tools, what i am ? a coder, a beginner, an advanced user
- - using earlier software as a way of resistance , (sigital security implicance. formats are not recognizes, )
- - Long life software / what happen if i need to use a software (and OS) for 20, 40, ... years, softwares must be maintaned by a comunity like in opensource projects.
- - Accompaning migrations and recognitions over the new interfaces the same structures like in a legacy mode or software continuity
- projects : fantasy hacking interface of software like WORD or operating system (paint, draw, photo editing, etc.) / real hack on libreoffice interface ?
Little interview with the ladies
Do you use a computer ? Yes of course, i have a pc with windows 7, but before i have windows XP, it took me two years to learn how to use it on my own, i was alone to learn. they use windows 10 but they don't like it (but all of us:). I have also a smartphone, an Iphone 4, my son's Iphone. I have a (digital) camera and i transfer my images on my computer just for printing in black and white, color still too expensive, but my printer no longer works. Fortunately, a young man of thirty-five helps me to print !
What's sort of software do you use ? I use word to write and skype to communicate with my family.
Do you use facebook or something other social media ? No, it's too dangerous you know, i don't want to use the cloud !
Have you some difficulties with the permanent change of software ? Not as long as I can learn
Have you some difficulties with the letter size or the screens ? The letters are too small but the screens are better today than the monochrome i use when i was at work ! Maybe some large letter size and sort of clear typography it will be better.
Do you use mouse or pad ? I use pad of course, no problem with it, i have a "transportable"
Do you think softwares can be adapted to you, is it interesting for you ? pfff i don't know, i never think about that (softwares are only the OS, she can't talk to me about another, i insist and i obtain WORD)
- Operating system and legacy
- A windows XP like in LINUX http://q4os.org/
- Windows seven
- Mac osx