[comes from http://10.9.8.7:9001/p/plans] + http://10.9.8.7:9001/p/claster
Aging on the command line: Practices and figurations of ageing as a social/aesthetic analysis // A ROT RIOT!!!
- Ageing on the bitmap
how imec figures computation/time/aging - IMEC as a through line through these various occasions (the command line) - what are these practices or imagine these concepts within another network of values, etc. How technologies figure the body differently, imagine differently, the material discourse of the key concept. How do they figure the city, evironment, aging body, . . . (IMEC imagines they can control all these things, so! All these things can be bettered.)
- Looking at the exisiting figurations/imaginations of ageing as a social/aesthetic analysis. Potential sites/practices of enquiry might include - "embracing a better life", IMEC, imaginations of ageing in the smart city, asethtics of ageing
- density under the banner of "embracing a better life" (slogan IMEC)
- ["embracing"+"a"(whose?)+"better"(under what regime of judge of good-bad?+"life"(as in bios, or as in zoe or as in collective or as in what?)]
- limits of modes of critique. / vs self-healing, partial reparation: ROT RIOT but also, how to be affirmative along that!?? -- microscale to think that thickness: a feministontology for thinking about computation: the potential of a different colapse.
- different figurations, rendering, iterations? "occasion is the environment"
*Daniel Lopez, on autonomy-enabling and an STS criticism of "telecare": http://www.academia.edu/6398185/Little_arrangements_that_matter._Rethinking_autonomy-enabling_innovations_for_later_life + http://www.academia.edu/5706701/Installing_Telecare_Installing_Users_Felicity_Conditions_for_the_Instauration_of_Usership
- Increasing efficiency. / the effects/ applications that drive the developemnts / controlling behaviour.
- [in relation to the semiotic-material]
- From stopping to smoke to flowing a city.
- "algorithmic density"/ ["algorithmic thickness"]
- "algorithmic otherness" -- interesting object of thought, but how does it intervene in the IMECs of this world?
- The self-care mandate: to be a good citizen (health as ideology/ideological/ideal) - see essays in Metzl and Kirkland's "Against Health"
- degredation of agency.
Software rot, also known as code rot,
- semiotic-material density: notations, encryptions, descriptions, namings, inscriptions,
- a density not only projected towards the future, but with a certain past -
- Imagination of ageing starting from the command line instruction of touch. Command line - touch. Means that file is unchanged but changed :) ( it changes the 'last modified date' -- but can also create a new empty file ! ) http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/touch.1.html. touch command somehow artificially shifts the temporalities of the file system.. info exchange as touching?
- IMEC and Bits --
use the half life of the bits of IMAC -- bit rot // link rot // rot riot //
conditions of possibility of bits / bits of the southern wild / [protocol for
slowing falling down]
- an affirmative degradation of the data
- Bit rot (when material of information degrades, stops working as its designed); degredation of material vs link rot (pointing doesn't work - innovation that doesn't take care of its "ancestry"/legacy - spatial shift; perceived longevity, even immortality, of links should be source of suspicion - consider CONSTANT'S own websites as case stdy); temporary traces of activity in caches - degredation of digital self/information online. (A)temporal ephemerality and digital aging...schematization of time and degredation resonate, but are distinct from, analogical ideas of human aging
- How to visualise the interventions and roads that present algorithms.
- "Let us oversimplify the problem to get a clearer picture. Suppose we had eliminated all possible sources of correlated data loss, from operator error to excess heat. All that remained would be bit rot, a process that randomly flips the bits the system stores with a constant small probability per unit time. In this model we can treat bits as radioactive atoms, so that the time after which there is a 50 percent probability that a bit will have flipped is the bit half-life. "
, software erosion, software decay or software entropy is either a slow deterioration of software performance over time or its diminishing responsiveness that will eventually lead to software becoming faulty, unusable, or otherwise called "legacy" and in need of upgrade. This is not a physical phenomenon: the software does not actually decay, but rather suffers from a lack of being responsive and updated with respect to the changing environment in which it resides.
GDPR - has this impacted the accessibility of archived websites? E.g. European Graduate school ...
- "keeping in touch" - ie.., via Microsoft (and other) initiatives (pushbuttons, fall alerts, smart cities for aging people, etc) that slide between surveillance and care model - Fitbittification of aging
- Consumer IoT - Elder Care https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCK-v0cWE3k
- sensing devices - fuzzy boundary/entanglement of surveillance and care (Helen's story) - impossible to extract care gestures from neoliberal/advancedcapitalism economic superstructures
between thermal cycles, macaronis, better life etc ( schematizations / reductionist takes on aging )
- Helen , Andrea, martino, jara
Dashboard Asethtics (versus Constant...)
- physical bit rot like bits on cd
- some old piece of software - very blurry both if the environment changes an doesn't aknowlegde that the changes it decays - vague sense that with time software works less, but actually its quite blurry it might be more that its not taken care of
- software rot and software performance over time
- diminishing in the time it reisides..
- data rot
- memory rot
Swampy composting word - where did the word come from ..
Bit compost.. storing waste in the fridge so that it didn't go wild in the heat..
slow, unpredictable - maybe this is why the rot word transfers - entropic rotness
interdependent ageing -- environment-system dependency (aging that is relative - e.g., not to do with software itself but external factors - updates that force obsolescence)
relativity of rotness -- already in software there are these principles - not just an analogy or shared process with aging. A redefining moment for deterioration as dependencies, "agile aging" - undermines a linear temporal trajectory/timeline.
Maintenance and/as care for these forms of rot (data / legacy)
Performance and use .. youthful software old laptops, youthful laptops old softwares
Material properites is this decay
[conservers' differenciation between objects and things] -- 2 typesof maintenance, for both types of rot: of legacy and of data
temporalities of bit rot - bring attention to the differing temporalities of ageing some which aren't based in a linear time but perhaps more dependent on entanglements/dependencies/environemnts which can be reconfigured on
sound cousing degradation in data -- vibrations / vibrant matter (not what Helen was talking about, but: https://gizmodo.com/5555359/the-weirdness-of-a-youtube-video-re-uploaded-1000-times)
"cosmic rays"?¿ -- [cosmic dust]
rusting/corrosion of dust on the cd
Getting existential: when a bit is flipped, does it still exist?
magnetic fields are binarized, and when they get overpass specific amount of charge, they jump from 0 to 1 or the other way around.
Not so much that zero becomes one, but "something that is understood as zero becomes something understood as one" --> possible to hunt for bit that have just changed in the bit map?
Is rotting different from "regular" softward process? Error correction can mask this accumulation.
Cosmic Rays: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/subatomic-particles-cosmic-rays-computers-change-elections-planes-autopilot-a7584616.html
SEU - single event upset ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_event_upset
"these documents are no longer true" due to bit rot (or...due to cosmic rays): https://www.slideshare.net/sarahmaddox/doc-bit-rot-sarah-maddox-wds-2014-40842990
bit rot can cause epilepsy / epilepsy can cause cosmic rays
Mitigating bit flips or single event upsets in epilepsy neurostimulators https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4872716/
SEU/UFO: Single Event Upset (of electronic circuit in space by a heavy particle; proton, etc) - but also seems to be a catch-all term for unexplained phenomena
"Cosmic rays are charged particles that bombard us constantly; they originate in space from high-energy sources such as galactic events or stars like the sun . Most of the time, and as far as we know, there is little consequence of that energy exposure because most charged particles are easily deflected or shielded by the earth’s atmosphere or magnetic field."
How to Detect Cosmic Rays
parametric pain / self-healing chips
'DRAM errors in the wild'
we are just alittle flip away from animism
bit flipping attacks
hit the chip
soft error (is NOT a software error)
"Soft error rate (SER) is the rate at which a device or system encounters or is predicted to encounter soft errors. It is typically expressed as either the number of failures-in-time (FIT) or mean time between failures (MTBF). The unit adopted for quantifying failures in time is called FIT, which is equivalent to one error per billion hours of device operation. MTBF is usually given in years of device operation; to put it into perspective, one FIT equals to approximately 1,000,000,000 / (24 × 365.25) = 114,077 times more than one-year MTBF."
Titles - some provocative and (in terms of discipline) pretty unclear (or lyrical!)
IMEC bitflipping - self-healing chips that MUST LEARN TO FEEL PAIN: https://www.imec-int.com/en/imec-magazine/best-of-2016/chips-must-learn-how-to-feel-pain-and-how-to-cure-themselves (also refers to "device aging")
"Aging Mitigation Schemes for Embedded Memories"https://repository.tudelft.nl/islandora/object/uuid%3A968f224e-3a30-4c6b-8dc6-9a4e1e43b2ec
"Aging mitigation in memory arrays using self-controlled bit-flipping technique" https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7059010/
"An aging-aware flip-flop design based on accurate, run-time failure prediction" https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6231069/
Aging as stochastic process (coin flip) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic_process --> soft errors are bit flips that occur randomly
RAM scrubbing + the RAM humpers
aesthetics of the flip
Is it worth it? Let me work it
I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it
Ti esrever dna ti pilf, nwod gniht ym tup
Ti esrever dna ti pilf, nwod gniht ym tup
flip flop switching
What An Alpha Ray Looks Like + alpha decay
Aging as "flipped" genetic switch - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150723125244.htm
FLIP as key protein in cell aging (apoptosis) process: https://www.nature.com/articles/40657 (from NATURE: "here we report the characterization of an inhibitor of apoptosis, designated FLIP (for FLICE-inhibitory protein), which is predominantly expressed in muscle and lymphoid tissues.")
Noise aidded bit flipping: http://www-labsticc.univ-ubs.fr/~boutillon/NAND/documents/Declercq_ISTC_2016.pdf
"chip ageing", "malicious aging" and "aging induced seccurity threats" http://archi2017.loria.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Olivier_Heron_cours_ARCHI_2017.pdf (" How to build accurate circuit ageing models independently of specific device models? ")
//Cosmic Rays effects on the Environment
La Glacière - DRY ICE IN ST GILLES! Rue de la Glacière 38, 1060 Saint-Gilles:-) (open til 7pm tonight)
"All one has left is a resonance chamber well on the way to forming a black hole." D&G
Gray hair and balding are considered to be the signs of ageing in humans! Imagers too exhibit a tendency to age which manifests as the generation of hard errors such as increase in hot pixels, increase in dark current, etc, even during on-theshelf
storage1, 2 . These hot pixels are hard errors and are permanent unlike soft errors. Defects develop during the lifetime of imagers and do not disappear, limiting the imaging performance. It is hypothesized that the ageing phenomenon is dueto the influence of terrestrial cosmic rays3 , which are the result of very high energy particles created in space or by the sun. These particles subsequently strike the earth’s atmosphere. The energy and density of cosmic rays is dependant on altitude, latitude as well as the earth’s magnetic field4 . It is known that ceramic package, cover glass, adhesives, etc have little effect on the creation of hot pixels, even though they have effect on the generation of soft errors due to α -rays5 .
"How to fix dead, stuck and hot pixels" https://photographylife.com/dead-vs-stuck-vs-hot-pixels
Starhawk on Starlight vision
Extraordinary consciousness, the other mode of perception that is broad, holistic, and undifferentiated, sees patterns and relationships rather than fixed objects. It is the mode of starlight: dim and silvery, revealing the play of woven branches and the dance of shadows, sensing pathways as spaces spaces in the whole. The magical and psychic aspects of the Craft are concerned with awakening the starlight vision, as I like to call it, and training it to be a useful tool. (42)
Matter sings, by its very nature. The song is carried forth on waves that become spheres. The waves are the waves of orgasm, light waves, ocean waves, pulsating waves of sound. The waves form spheres as swirling gases form stars.
Starhawk. The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Goddess: 20th Anniversary Edition (p. 50). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
The value of magical metaphors is that through them we identify ourselves and connect with larger forces; we partake of the elements, the cosmic process, the movements of the stars. (221)
The imagery fits with our vision of cosmic origins in the big orgasm, or we might call it a she-bang as in Timothy Ferris, The Whole Shebang (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1997). Personally, when I want to contemplate something truly esoteric, I meditate on the periodic table of the elements.
Cosmic Ray Forecasts
list of needs:
SPlitting and spinning..
outside forces undoing..
There are in fact forms of existence that could be described as totems. Indeed, many of my friends use the word “totem” now as a translation of durlg (Batjemahl; therrawin, Emiyengal). And each of the following chapters does in fact pivot on a different form of durlg or therrawin existence—rock formation, estuarine creek, fog, fossil, and reef. But I do so in order to highlight how late liberalism attempts to control the expression and trajectory that their analytics of existence
Four principles as a sort of dirty manifesto to Karrabing analytics.
- Things exist through an effort of mutual attention.
- This effort is not in the mind but in the activity of endurance.
- Things are neither born nor die, though they can turn away from each other and change states.
- In turning away from each other, entities withdraw care for each other. Thus the earth is not dying. But the earth may be turning away from certain forms of existence. In this way of thinking the Desert is not that in which life does not exist. A Desert is where a series of entities have withdrawn care for the kinds of entities humans are and thus has made humans into another form of existence: bone, mummy, ash, soil.
- We must de-dramatize human life as we squarely take responsibility for what we are doing. This simultaneous de-dramatization and responsibilization may allow for opening new questions. Rather than Life and Nonlife, we will ask what formations we are keeping in existence or extinguishing?
Povinelli, Elizabeth A.. Geontologies: A Requiem to Late Liberalism (p. 28). Duke University Press.
Flipping bits in Raspberry pi
Yeats's poem on old age: "Sailing to Byzantium"https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43291/sailing-to-byzantium
Microphysics vs Newtonian Physics
Ruyer's microphysics and the atom...
Distributed ouselves down several paths - paths dependency as the methodological approach
Manifestation of rot
items of concern becoming rot
tensions between rotting and flipping
how the partial repartion can be approached
bit rot as confronatative gesture
what would be a rot riot ..in a thick composition.. like a pickling
pickling involves a form of rotting maybe the affirmative creative. way o.f thinking critique
activist computing practice base don a queer feminist comic bit flipping ontology.. // The Flipping Ontologists
not hopeful but not hopeless.
kitler article software
weiner writing about microphysics
flipping off bits
micrphysics in simondon
his critique of cybernetics
the conceptualisation of magrins of indeterminacy and the way in which this is a moments of specific coming together in tehcnological processes. The ensemble only allows for particular moments of bit flipping, moments of indterminancy on certain gates/holes.
exploitation/usage of indeterminacy to make --- function (there are very macro iterations of this in politics, US/Brexit, etc.... the referendum and political bit-flip)
"the successful machine" - bit flips are part of the machine rather than a glitch
by stopping the bitsfrom flipping we might be stopping its potential
the bit is spinozian
We don't see the machine as a continuum that we are and so we abtract the technical object instead of allowing the bit to flip we try to control the generals and stop them from lying.